Integrating Nearmap Imagery into Pitney Bowes MapInfo Professional 12.0.0 Using WMS
These instructions apply to Pitney Bowes® MapInfo® Professional 12.0.0 and describe how to load georeferenced Nearmap imagery using Web Map Service (WMS).
Rather than import a single image of a small area, WMS allows MapInfo to request the imagery directly from the Nearmap server in a variety of map projections.
To consume Nearmap imagery via WMS, you must first create a Simple or Custom WMS Service, which generates a URL for you to copy to your computer's clipboard. Once you have done that, you can conveniently paste it into your application as required. Note that the screenshots below show Simple WMS.
For more information, see the WMS 2.0 Integration documentation.
- Open MapInfo. Click on the File menu, select Open Web Service, and choose Open WMS...
- In the Open WMSTable window, click Servers...
- In the WMS Servers List window, click Add...
- In the WMS Server Information window, paste the WMS URL that you copied to your clipboard earlier.
- In the WMS Servers List window, select the Nearmap WMS server you just added and click OK.
- Now you can choose a map layer to load. Some layers are nationwide, others cover single states. It's best to choose a single state or city because locally optimal map projections are not available for nationwide survey layers.
Selecting the state or top city layer will always give you the most recent imagery for your area of interest.
In the Open WMS Table window, select your survey of interest and click Add>>.
- In the Projection field, choose your map projection of interest. The most appropriate one will usually be the first on the list.
- In the Image Format field, select image/jpeg. This will substantially improve performance and reduce data usage compared with image/png at a very slight cost to image quality. Then click OK.
The requested survey should now be loaded.
As you zoom and pan, high-resolution imagery will load on-demand.