Let's look at the tools to measure the area and perimeter/circumference using shapes. Using the shape tools, you can easily draw an outline of buildings or areas to measure the area or perimeter, or the circumference for a circular area.
Drawing a rectangle
- Rotate the map such that you can align the rectangle correctly over the area you want to measure.
- Click the Rectangle button.
Click on the map to start drawing the area. This is the first vertex of the rectangle.
Drag the mouse to cover the required area.
Double-click to close out the area.
- To reset the map to North, click in the center of the compass after you have drawn the rectangle.
To align a rectangle, you can rotate it using its vertices.
- Position the cursor near the vertex from which you want to rotate the rectangle. The cursor changes to an an arc with arrows.
- Click the left-mouse button and drag the rectangle to the angle you want.
- Release the mouse button to finish.
Drawing a polygon
- Click the Polygon button.
- Draw out the area by clicking each vertex of your area.
- Double-click the last vertex to close out the area.
Drawing a circle
- Click the Circle button.
- Click onto the map roughly where the center of the circle is. You can move the circle later if you want to re-position it.
- Click onto the point so that you see a dotted box around it.
- Now drag out the circle until it is the size you want.