Nearmap API services allow users to load Nearmap high-resolution imagery on demand. There are two available services:
- Simple - provides a URL to access latest Nearmap Vertical imagery using WMS 2.0 or Google Earth.
- Custom - allows users of off-the-shelf GIS and CAD applications to define custom areas of interest and get a personalized WMS 2.0 URL with these areas only. A maximum of 10 areas of interest can be defined within one custom service.
To consume Nearmap imagery via WMS or Google Maps, you must authenticate using API Key Authentication, and obtain either a Simple URL or a Custom URL to load in the application.
Once authenticated, your software package will have a way for you to specify:
- The Nearmap layer you want to view
- The coordinate reference system you want to use to view the layer
Nearmap will provide the best projection for the WMS 2.0 imagery. Once you use either simple or custom WMS 2.0 in an application, the service will update with the new imagery every time Nearmap publishes a new survey.
Accessing API services
In order to obtain either a Simple or a Custom URL, you will need to access API Services on MyAccount.
You can either use this direct link: or follow these steps:
- Log in to Nearmap at
- Click the Integrations tab.
Make sure you have an API Application, as well as an API Key. If you don't have an application, contact your administrator.
Simple vs Custom API Service